Monday, 30 September 2013

Just because I like bikes doesn't mean I'm heavily into Rock...

I get the feeling that the ad agency people when asked to create a campaign aimed at bikers, immediately start looking for pieces of Rock Music, often created in the 80s or 90s, to use as a soundtrack to the ad.

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but just because we ride motorcycles doesn't mean we're heavily into Rock Music.

Now, my taste in music is extremely eclectic, and I do enjoy some rock music, even the heavier end of rock. The first vinyl record I ever bought was a Deep Purple creation, and Led Zep could do little wrong for me. But, I like a lot of other music too.

If I was to swallow all the HD hype in the build up to the 110 celebrations I would be believing that a love for aging heavy rock is a necessary qualification for owning a Harley.

I'm not sure what the rules are for obtaining a motorcycle licence in the States. My guess is that they're a lot more relaxed than our own beaurocratic nightmare. I also reckon that the ad men haven't yet cottoned on to the fact that younger people in the UK are giving up on the idea of biking because of the restrictions. If we are going to encourage our younger people to take up riding motorcycles the industry needs to be a bit more in tune with contemporary culture including music.

So, in a little over an hour, I put together this mock ad for the HD Softail Breakout, which you know I love, with an edit of a recently released single as the soundtrack. I'm no expert but it ain't half bad.

Photography is Harely Davidson's own promo stuff.
Edited Track: 'Bound' - Indiana - Released Feb 2013 - Sony Music Entertainment UK Ltd  
Complete track available on iTunes


  1. Thanks mate. Bit amateurish but as I say, done in no time at all. Give me a few days and some really good Hi-Def photos and I reckon I could mix up something pretty decent.

  2. Hey I like that song. I too have eclectic tastes. Growing up in the 70's and 80's it was mostly, rock, pop and heavy metal, but now leans towards rock, indie, folk and celtic.

    Here in Oregon if a person is under 60 they have to take the Team Oregon Basic Riders Training course (BRT). It is a 1 evening and 2 full days of classroom and range training with a written and riding test. If you pass that you can ride anything from a 125 cc scooter to a Hyabusa or Rocket III - no restrictions.

    1. That sounds simple and sensible. What do you reckon to this beaurocratic tripe? (Taken directly from UK Gov website):

      If you have a provisional motorcycle licence, you MUST satisfactorily complete a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course. You can then ride a motorcycle up to 125 cc with a power output not exceeding 11 kW on the public road, with L plates (in Wales either D plates, L plates or both can be used), for up to two years. Under direct access you can practise on a motorcycle that exceeds 125 cc provided that:

      you meet the minimum age for the category concerned
      you’re accompanied at all times by a qualified approved trainer, who is on another motorcycle and in radio contact with you
      fluorescent or reflective safety clothing is worn during supervision
      red L plates (D plates in Wales) are fitted and provisional licence restrictions followed.
      To obtain your full motorcycle licence you MUST pass a motorcycle theory test and then a practical test.
      Law MV(DL)R regs 16 & 68

      A1 motorcycle licence: At age 17 or over, you take a test on a motorcycle without sidecar of between 120 and 125 cc. If you pass you may ride a motorcycle up to 125 cc with power output up to 11 kW, or a motor tricycle with power not exceeding 15 kW.

      A2 motorcycle licence: At age 19 or over, you take a test on a motorcycle without sidecar of at least 395 cc with a power output of at least 25 kW but not exceeding 35 kW. If you pass, you may ride any motorcycle not exceeding 35 kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW/kg.

      Full A motorcycle licence: Test taken on a motorcycle without sidecar, of at least 595 cc and an engine power of at least 40 kW. This gives you full access to all motorcycles and motor tricycles. You obtain a category A licence by taking progressive access from age 21, or under the direct access scheme from age 24.

      Category A under progressive access: You can take a category A practical test at age 21 if you already have an A2 licence that you’ve held for a minimum of two years. You don’t need to take another theory test or hold a CBT certificate.

      Category A under direct access: This is for riders aged 24 or over. To obtain a category A licence you must

      successfully complete a CBT course
      pass the motorcycle theory test
      pass the practical motorcycle test.
      Passing the practical test on a motorcycle of at least 40 kW (53.6bhp) gives immediate access to all sizes of motorcycle.

      You MUST NOT carry a pillion passenger or pull a trailer until you have passed your test. Also see Rule 253 covering vehicles prohibited from motorways.