Saturday, 7 April 2018

Of No Saints, Memorial Rides and Big Birthday.

Ok, so I'm the worst blogger ever! Nearly two and a half years since my last post. But hey, I've been a bit busy and, a couple of times, really poorly. More about that later.

I suppose I'd better start writing about what's been happening in that two and a half year gap:

I can't promise to have it all in chronological order but I'll do my best.

I founded a motorcylce chaplaincy with the name 'No Saints'. Because we aren't saints. 
Just want to be a Christian presence amongst people on the road.

 Went to the speed wheelie championships at Elvington airfield
near York. Longest runway in the country so ideal for the gig.

There were some cool bikes there and people of all ages were giving it a go.

There were some incredible paint jobs.....

I'd better not eldest daughter got married!

No, not to the chimneysweep!

Yep, that's the guy.

For such occasions I can scub up quite well....

That's me with my life-long best mate. He's the tall handsome one.

Thinking of runways and things aeronautical....

.....I have, on occasion, found myself at the controls of aircraft....


Treated myself to a cool new helmet.

Went to the beautiful City of Bruges in Belgium a couple of times.
Enjoyed good beer........

Found a brilliant coffee shop with a motorcycle gear shop attached.......

........and photoed loads of great bikes!

If you ever find yourself in Bruges get yourself
to Hermanus on Langestraat.

I guess I'd better show a bit of Bruges....

It is a truly lovely old city.

The last couple of years I have joined the Ride to the Wall. Thousands of bikers from all over the UK ride out from numerous starting points and ride to the National Memorial Arboretum in the midlands.

It's a brilliant occasion, thousands of bikers all coming together to remember our armed forces. A large number of the bikers, like me, are military veterans.So, we remember fallen comrades.

This is the memorial to the fallen of the Royal Signals,
my old corps. 

I took this photo on my first Ride to the Wall, October 2016 . As you can see it was very wet. In fact it rained almost non-stop for most of the day. I got soaked on the ride home, which was a ride of over a hundred miles, and ended up with a chest infection that put me out of action for weeks.

RTTW 2017 was a much drier affair.....

These were taken at my starting point. Such a great sense of comradeship.

The National Memorial Arboretum is a beautiful place and they laid on great facilities for everyone. It's an event that gets bigger and better each year.

There was music of different kinds including, of course, a military band, 
which just happened to be the band of the Royal Corps of Signals.

And, of course, I revisited the Corps memorial to pay my respects to those who have fallen.

I've had a couple of trips over to Leeds Harley Davidson for servicing and to have a seized manifold bolt removed. Thankfully a load of penetrating fluid and some careful use of wrenches got it out without it shearing. That would have meant a costly trip to the machine shop to have said bolt drilled out.

Naturally, while there, I take the opportunity to check out the latest models.....

I'm afraid I can't get my head around the new Fat Bob though.

What's that back end all about?....

.....and those cans?

It's been getting great reviews in the motorcycle media.
But, to me, it just doesn't look right!

Remember the old Triumph?
That got sold. It just wasn't getting used enough. Bloke who bought it rode it straight home across country to Blackpool. Texted me later to let me know that it never missed a beat. 

Oh, and I bought a new car.....

Well, there you have a bit of what's been going on in my world over the last couple of years. The only other noteable event was that I had one of those landmark birthdays...........60!
     Now, I would say 60 and still going strong, but a week or so after the big day I fell ill with pneumonia. That was really crap and the Doc told me that I probably hadn't fully recovered from the previous chest infection. I had to take several weeks off work because it knocked seven bells out of me. All better now though, which is just as it should be as I retire from the day job at the end of May. Got loads to do though, including going forward for selection to ordained ministry. 
     60 I may be, and busy times ahead, but not too busy to ride. I've now got a small action camera. So, there'll be some videos coming up.

Lastly, the head: got some really effective treatment through 2016 and into 2017. But, the tinitus still screams. Just gotta ride more!

There're loads of gaps, but I'll fill those in in the next post.

Tara for now.


  1. Thank you for the update. I'd been wondering how you were doing. Happy belated birthday and congrats on your upcoming retirement!

    It looks as though you are keeping yourself busy. Keep on riding and keep that ringing at bay. Cheers!

  2. Thanks honey. Weather's warming up a bit here so there'll be no excuse.